Friday, September 14, 2012

Stop Domestic Violence, and Great Strength Training and Mini-Metacons: The Secret to Ultimate Fitness

First off, I am looking forward to helping Master John Thomas of United States Karate Center help stop domestic violence.  Our dojo is dedicated to the cause, and we have raised thousands for women and children who are victims of domestic violence.  We support the Artemis House in Fairfax, VA.  So donate and help out.



Great end of a training week.  My strength training composed of functional lifts, coupled with metabolic finishers; and 2-3 days a week of metacon circuits and cardio-endurance are paying off.  I am  ramping up for a half-marathon in October that I want to PR.  However, I am taking an unorthodox approach: I am running less.

I tried this a few years ago when I ran a 100-mile ultra.  I trained strictly with kettlebells 3 days a week, and did short metacon circuits and skill work on off days.  I also mixed in mountain biking.  The result was I never ran over 13 miles on long runs, but my runs--on skill day--were more effective because I was fresh and faster.  The same occurred yesterday.  I had not run any distance since the Spartan Race, but I killed a 6-mile run at an average of 7-8 min. a mile.  And I am not sore today.

I will continue this kind of training and post about it to show the power of kettlebell training and programming.  The fact is kettlebells can be used as a strength tool and metacon tool to get you in the ultimate shape of your life.  And the proof is out there!  Most of my clients are looking to invest minimal time for maximum results.  Follow the Rogue Kettlebell Fitness Blog to see WODs like this and the programming.

It must be noted that this kind of training is not new in Russia or with KB sport.  But I learned of training this way from Mike Stehle and Jim Milkoski of The Training Room out of New Jersey.  (Training from the IKFF also has influenced this.) They broke from the CrossFit mold and really started to incorporate minimetacons and KB work into their main program.  I saw HUGE results.  In fact, they just came out with a new set of workouts that is ideal   for any busy adult who wants to train hard, but has limited time.  I bought it and it is great.  Get the ebook here: www.minimetcons.com

Matt's WODs




Wednesday: Strength

WU: 3 Rounds

10/10 Snatch (16K)
20 Pushups

WO 1: 3 x 5+ (all out on last round)

Double KB Cleans (32Ks)
1- Arm Floor Press (32K)
1-Arm Rows (36K)

WO 2: T-Bar Deads
5x3 at 395 lbs.

Finisher:  3x20

KB Swings (32K)
Pushups 


Thursday: Cardio and Skill Day

6-Mile Tempo Run at 7-8 min. pace


* Was at expected race pace.  Will add 1 mile per week and do 1 main run a week until race day. 



Friday: Strength and Cardio Split

WO1 (morning): Upper Body Strength

2 x 2 min. Rounds of Clean Jerk (16Ks,18Ks)

2 x 2 min. Rounds of Jerk (16Ks, 18Ks)

2 x 2 min. Rounds of Snatch (18Ks, 20Ks) 1 arm switch at 1-min. mark

*5 pullups with vest after each round

WO2: 2-Hour Mountain Biking Ride



1 comment:

  1. The Orange Kettlebell Club "There is a reason that John and the OKC are in such high demand not just locally either but all across the globe. kettlebell set

    ReplyDelete