Thursday, October 4, 2012

More of My Favorite KB Lifts with Comp Bells and Hamstring Development for Running

Great training and conditioning so far for my half marathon.  I ran 12 miles this weekend in the mountains--I had not run over 6 in training--and was feeling great on Monday.  So I was still able to lift strong.  The strength training with the metacon is really paying off.  Since the race is in 2 weeks, I will cut back a little on maxing out, keep the legs fresh, and do a little more running.  Still, I feel that the strength days need to be the cornerstone of every workout.



I am training several other people for it, too, and I am noticing that they can add miles and increase time without injury.  Some of my clients are running their first half marathon--some had never run more than a 5K before--and they are all progressing well.  They make train hard 3-4 times a week in class, and then run on their own.




One main thing I have been training is the hamstrings.  I had noticed that people who were running a lot were injuring their knees and and lower backs quite a bit.  So this time around, I threw in a lot of KB work for the posterior chain, like cleans and double swings; heavy single swings; and deadlifts with the trap bar.  In addition, I train the upper body push-pull complex to get the upper body and core more developed and involved.  In particular, BW rows, pushups, floor press, and Renegade Rows.  These all aid in running by making the upper body stronger and getting the mass involved with forward momentum by moving your arms more.



Check out some scenes from Wednesday's Progression Workout:


First Strength Complex for Upper Body Push/Pull and Posterior Chain (3 Rounds)


Second Strength Complex for Upper Body Push/Pull and Posterior Chain (3 Rounds)

WODs

Sunday:

12-mile Trail Run

Monday: Recon Workout (An old Pavel Favorite)

TGUs 5/5 24K

Set 1: 5x5
5 Clean and Strict Press (24Ks)
5 Weighted Pullups (16K)

Set 2: 5x5 Front Squats (32Ks)

Set 3: 5x10/10 Snatch (24K)

Great Workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment