Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Base-Level Fitness, Focusing Training, and my WODs

I have been blogging much about the events and training that me and my clients are currently doing.  No doubt, kettlebells, good strength and conditioning programming, and focused training allow one to acquire a great base-level of fitness; and then, as the event approaches, one can hone the skill and training area that they need to work on. But working on that base is something we really focus on in the gym, for as we get older and we have more commitments--with kids, job, life, etc.--you need to be efficient in the gym and with your WODs.

I try to walk-the-talk with all my clients and people I train.  This is to show them that I don't just give out prescriptive advice, but rather that I am following my own training protocol that I deal out in the studio.  That is one reason I blog and post my WODs: To show the progress and training that lead to personal successes at events, races, etc.  I think you can inspire this way.

So I have 3 big events coming up over the next 2 months:

3-5 August: IKFF Level 1 and Level 2 Courses
25 August: The Mid-Atlantic Super Spartan Race
14 October: The Heritage Half Marathon

All of my training is focused, but because of my base, I can tailor each training period leading up to the event.  I focus on the skills, strength, endurance, and stamina I will need.  Right now, I am focused on a lot of KB work since I know from previous IKFF certs that we will be working out ALL day with kettlebells.  Thus, I am trying to get in work almost everyday.  After that, I will shift my training focus.  Keep reading future blog posts to see progress and training.

Matt's WODs:


Saturday: Strength
WU:  5/5 TGUs (32K)
WO1: 5x5
Clean and Press (24Ks)
Weighed Pullups (16K)

WO2: 4x6 Front Squats (32Ks)


WO3: 3x8 Floor Press (24Ks)
Bodyweight Rows


Finisher: 5 x 5/5 Snatches (28K) coupled with 16 lb. Sledgehammer Hits
Monday: Strength
WU: 5/5 TGUs (32K)

WO 1: 3(1,2,3)
Single Arm Clean and Press (32K)
Weighted Pullups (R1: 32K, R2&R3: 24K)


WO2: 5x10 Goblet Squat (32K)


Finisher: 3 rounds
5/5 Snatches (32K)
15 Pushups




Tuesday: Metacon


5 Rounds w/ 32K


10 Swings
10 Pushups
5/5 Cleans
5/5 Push Press
10 Pullups
10 30" Boxjumps


Snatches at end (32K), but nothing to failure.  Good One!

No comments:

Post a Comment