Monday, May 14, 2012

Feats of Strength from Kettlebells, Deadlifting, and Your Inner Athlete



At Rogue Kettlebell Fitness, we train to promote overall health, fitness, and functionality.  Thus, we do a lot of training with strength and power with the function foundational lifts: squats, clean and press, deadlift, pullups, rows, pushups or bench, snatches, etc.  In our programming, we test our overall abilities once a month, just to see how we are all progressing.
Here are a few cases in point.  Last week, I decided to test everybody’s one-rep max with the trapbar deadlift.  Why?  Because it is VERY safe, and it shows overall full body power. Many of my clients and Lab Rats made gains.
The first example is Super SSGT Sean Sturgill, one of my Marine Lab Rats at Quantico.  (Sorry ladies, this stud is taken!)  He has only been training with kettlebells and deadlifting with the trapbar for 3 months.  He got really sick a few weeks ago, and had to take 2 weeks off.  His first time deadlifting, he got 175.  Before he got sick, his one-rep max was 365.  Well, the other day, after 3 weeks back in the groove, he crushed 405.  He knew he could do more, but he was happy with that.

Ruthy CRUSHING 235 lbs. on the T-Bar with a broken toe!

Later that day at my gym--I use the same training programming for my clients that I use on me and my Lab Rats--one of my clients, Ruthy, also hit an amazing one-rep max.  Now, I won’t disclose Ruthy’s age, but lets just say she is one of the strongest (and proudest) grandmoms out there in Northern Virginia.  She also just returned to training a month ago after a broken toe from a nasty front kick at our Women’s Self Defense Seminar.  (That’s another story.)  Anyways, she jumped right into the kettlebell training program this month, and she hit 235 a month later on the trapbar.
She went on to say this to her friend about kettlebells and her Mother's Day gift.

"The funny thing is that I never enjoyed working out until I found Kettlebells. Being able to dead lift substantial weight is a direct result. I highly recommend Kettlebell Training!"


Wonderful Mother's Day so far: Great time with the kids and grands! Loving my new Kettlebells.
Notice Ruthy is now ROCKING double 16K comp bells (36 lbs apiece for you gringos)!


These are but 2 examples of some amazing strength gains, but it all starts with a coach who KNOWS how to program.  Strength is one of those KEY skills that you need to train.  Plus, it thwarts aging and promotes performance, like in the article I posted the other day.  So the bottom line is you don’t have to be an NFL star to train like an athlete.  We are all given a wonderful machine called a body, and we should use it to its maximum potential.  Kettlebells are a great way to express that movement and power.  And we all have an inner athlete inside of us--UNLEASH YOURS!!!

1 comment:

  1. As virtually no one knows I am transitioning myself over to a new local identity called 'Palo Alto Kettlebells' reps cpd courses

    ReplyDelete