Monday, May 7, 2012

Kettlebells, Running, and Base-Level Fitness


As you read this blog, you will understand that I’m a true believer that kettlebell training--programmed the right way--can produce tremendous all-around fitness results.  In addition, your base-level of fitness will improve, making you more athletic, strong, less prone to injury, and functionally fit.  And that is what the majority of my clients want.
Case in point: This weekend, I decided to run a 10-mile trail run in the mountains with over 3000 feet of elevation.  Now, it must be known that my last serious run was 2 years ago, when I ran a 100-mile ultra-marathon on my 35th B-Day.  I had my Forest Gump moment after, and gave up running due to life and other commitments.  For that event, I never ran more than 13 mile leading up to that ultra, but rather combined kettlebell circuits with crosstraining.


Me on my 35th B-Day after 33 hours on the Massanutten Mountain Trail Run: All KBs baby!
In the time since, I’ve run exactly 5 times, and 2 of those have been in the last 2 weeks (because I’m getting back into it).  Well, I ran the trail hard expecting to feel like you-know-what the next day.  But guess what: I’m not sore at all and am planning on lifting for heavy strength today.
That’s another reason why I love the kettlebells.  When combined with a well-planned strength and conditioning program, your base level is at its peak.  It allows you to do anything.  Further, I’ve trained (and currently am) people for marathons and other endurance events with my training protocol.  It is also the same one I use at my gym.
The Russians have known these secrets for years: Olympic lifters in the 1980s, SpecOps forces in the 1980s and 1990s, and all-around athletes in general.  There are numerous studies now coming out in the U.S., but some of the most famous scientific studies come from Russia.  For example, one conducted in the early 80s by Voropayev, in which he observed how kettlebells improved track and field athletes in various events: pullups, jumping, and running.
So, to keep it honest and real, I will post my fitness progress and workouts to show my program design--and how it can boost your base fitness level to do ANYTHING!  You will see specific workouts centered around strength, metabolic conditioning, and sport-specific exercise.  Keep posted.  So get to it, and unleash your inner athlete.
Train Hard!  Train Strong!  Train Rogue!

No comments:

Post a Comment