Thursday, May 24, 2012

The X-Factor: Optimal Nutrition for Athletes


As a fitness professional, I get asked MANY questions about programming, fitness, and exercise.  I can offer such advice, for I feel comfortable about the information I dispense and practice what I preach.  Now the second most asked questions I get--and any discussion about fitness and working out ultimately leads here--are about diet and nutrition.  I used to offer little tidbits of info, but what I realized is proper nutrition is a complicated topic, and each solution differs depending on the person.


Supreme Fitness Starts with Dynamic Nutrition!

For example, I have clients that run the gambit of the fitness spectrum: from high school and college athletes to military personnel and combat athletes to regular citizens that just want to lose weight or tone up.  In addition, these people vary in age, gender, and lifestyle, so a one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t work.  Needless to say, this makes optimizing fitness and nutrition a complicated equation, with nutrition being the X-Factor, since it varies so much.

GREAT FITNESS + PROPER NUTRITION (X-FACTOR) = HEALTHY LIVING
This should make any professional trainer or coach a little wary of dispensing advice in an area they really don’t know.  In one instance, I know trainers who insist that their clients workout multiple times a day, all the while making them fast, take supplements, and drink shakes that they sell.  This is downright wrong--and dangerous--especially since they don’t have a formal subject matter expertise in this area.
So like the great Taoist Lao Tzu said: If you want truth, go to the source.  That is why when I decided to offer nutrition advice to my clients, I invited Mary Perry, a registered dietitian, of Dynamic Nutrition to hold a workshop at my studio.  Not only is she a nutrition guru, but she is also a competitive athlete and powerlifter herself.  So she walks the talk!  (Check the photos of her in action.)
Personally, I think that 90% of the information out there about diet and fitness is BS.  Everybody has a different body type, DNA, and lifestyle, so how can anybody      
prescribe a one-size-fits-all solution.  So what works for me personally, might not be the Holy Grail for everyone.  True, you can get by with your own research, but if you want to take it to the next level and optimize your performance daily, then you have to find out what your own personal nutritional X-Factor is.  And make sure you get the right advice from the right people!


Come to Rogue Kettlebell Fitness on June 2 for a great workshop!


             

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. I so wish I could be there for this workshop but I'll barely be into my race that morning. Save me a couple of any handouts!

    ReplyDelete