Friday, May 18, 2012

Honor, Control, Discipline: The Joy of Coaching and Watching Clients Train, Grow, and Succeed


10+ years of Training: Master Thomas and I on the Set of his TV Show, "Defend Yourself!"

Not too long ago, I was having a conversation with my sinsei, Master John Thomas, former Navy SEAL Combat Instructor; national full-contact, no-holds barred champion; board-breaking champion; and owner of United States Karate Center, which is coming up on its 30-year anniversary.  He was advising me on how to run my small business, coaching and training people, and conducting a white-belt test for a group of my students.  He also reflected about all the people he has trained over the years--from martial artists to Navy SEALs--and how they have grown.

During the conversation, we talked about how getting a white belt is just the first step on the journey to getting a black belt, which involves the USKC and martial arts principles of Control, Honor, Discipline.  He went on to further add that even after you get your black belt, that is when the journey really begins, for the sinsei, like a mother bird, must release its young martial artists out into the world, hoping that the instilled values and training will make them succeed and survive.  Master Tomas concluded with the statement: The Master succeeds when the students succeed!


The USKC Blackbelt Team--Years of Training and Growth!


Me and my Young Grasshoppers, Post WB Test!I


I thought deeply about this, and like an epiphany, it impacted me as a trainer and coach: My hard training and programming with kettlebells--coupled with the instilled values of Honor, Courage, Discipline--has enabled me to start my gym and forge some AMAZING athletes and martial artists.  It was an ego check about being confident in your own skills, and then instilling them in the proper training and programming for your students and clients.
Over the next few weekends, a half-dozen of my clients will be competing in a series of events--everything from the Warrior Dash to marathons and 50Ks to looking good at a wedding!  A group of ladies has even formed a training team for one of the events, and they train together outside of our normal kettlebell sessions. 

As I looked at them training hard at Rogue Kettlebell Fitness through my new lens on coaching that Master Thomas talked about, I couldn’t help but feel proud.  I have the priviledge over the last few months to coach and prepare people for their goals with kettlebells and martial arts.  In addition, many of them have been training with me for years, and they are constantly setting new goals and milestones for themselves: There is joy in watching them train, grow, and set goals--whatever they may be--by having them display the instilled, learned virtues of Honor, Control, Discipline.


So Clients: GO KILL IT!!!  YOU’RE READY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment