Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Journey with Kettlebells: Getting Back in the Game!


“I’m telling you man, kettlebells are the way to go.”
The above quote comes from a plaque that was given to me by Marines from the old division I worked at for 5 years, in which I was the only civilian.  In-and-around my desk (just like today), I kept a plethora of kettlebells, from 16K to 32K, but everyone seemed to love “Big Blue,” my 28K competition bell. To many around Quantico and Marine Corps University, I was commonly known as “The Kettlebell Guy,” for everyday, rain or shine, I PTed solo and with other “Lab Rats” on the banks of the Potomac River.  In the beginning, most people stopped to look at my odd-looking ball of iron that I was tossing around. But there, I rediscovered my passion for fitness and being an athlete by using one of the greatest training tools around: The Kettlebell.
So why kettlebells?
My opinion does not come without personal experience--and LOTS of sweat!  In my 20s, I was an avid rockclimber, trail runner, and martial artist.  I had always been somewhat of a “gym rat” and used many cross-training methods to keep in shape. I also  taught martial arts, personally trained people, guided climbers in the mountains, and trained high school athletes as the off-season strength and conditioning coach at high schools I worked at.  I loved coaching people, showing them a passion for fitness, and allowing them to unleash their inner athlete.


                                                                    
Me climbing in Eldorado Canyon in my early 20s.

But then at the age of 27, I blew my right shoulder out.  I went from being able to lead climb hard rockclimbing routes and doing one-arm pullups to not being able to doing a single pullup.  Even though I went to physical therapy, it never felt right.  Then, at 29, I blew my left shoulder out from an armbar during an intense jujitsu session.  Now, I had 2 bum shoulders, and I hadn’t even hit 30.  I went from being an intense athlete to a depressed coach potato--and athletes who have experienced surgery and setback know what I’m talking about.  Depression!
Luckily, a retired LtCol pressed me to do the Marine Corps Marathon in 2005, so I could get back into the athletic groove.  I rediscovered my love of trail running, and began competing in ultramarthons.  As I was getting my mojo back, I also started to train with Mixed Martial Arts, Marines, and CrossFitters.  Through those venues, I found the kettlebell.  My first one was a Power Systems 35 lb. bell.  I also read everything I could get by Mike Mahler, Pavel, Jon Hinds, Steve Cotter, and Steve Maxwell, as well as other pros in the business.  Eventually, I got a second 35 lber., 2 53Ks, and a 32K.  There was something to these kettlebells, plus I was FEELING and PERFORMING better.
People just didn’t seem to understand it--and I guess I didn’t at first--this obsession with kettlebells, but there was something to them.  I will never forget the time that I did 20 dead-hang pullups since my surgeries, something I never thought I would do again.  Or, when I got through Enter the Kettlebell with the 32K for the first time.  Today, I can press and pull like never before, and I just seem to keep getting stronger.  Plus, I can climb again, as well as participate in EVERYTHING I did over 10 years ago.


Free-soloing 5 years post-op, after MANY kettlebell circuits.

For the last 7 years, the main core of my fitness routine has involved kettlebells in one form or another.  Since that time, I’ve have taken and practiced all of the different kettlebell protocols--from Hard Style to Kettlebell Sport--as well as may others.  I also have a dedicated group that I train at Quantico everyday, as well as my clients at my gym: Rogue Kettlebell Fitness.  I love being able to spread the word about these wonderful balls of iron and steel, showing people their fitness prowess.  So I guess it is a true: Kettlebells are the way to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment